A Flat(ter) File CMS
Jun 14, 2022
Jul 18, 2021
May 2, 2021
Updated Bookmarks Layout
Apr 30, 2021
A Simpler Layout
Apr 30, 2021
Mar 14, 2021
Mar 14, 2021
Converting to Markdown
Feb 5, 2021
#Fix bookmark reverse bug
#Remove some css blocks
#Fix relative links in RSS feeds
#Don't apply a filter to grayscale images
#Remove the 'subtitle' CSS class
Approximately 0.06g of CO₂ is produced every time someone visits this website. Which is cleaner than 94% of websites tested by websitecarbon.com.
Special thanks go to:
- Frank Chimero has been a huge inspiration for design approach and many of the honest, open concepts I hope this site conveys. I will never not be jealous of Frank.
- Matthew Smith’s Website Inspired this page, among others.
- Julian inspired the journal.
- The Value of Multi-Typeface Design by Bethany Heck made me think more about being less minimal about font selection.
- Brian Lovin has a great ethos about 'incrementally correct' websites.
And, in no particular order, a list of people and sites that have contributed some visual inspiration:
- Klim Foundry
- Manu Moreale
- Budi Tanrim
- Stephan Friedli
- Mike McQuade
- Foster Type
- Matus Hatala
- Maarten Afink
- Mike Guss
- Pierre Georges
- Benji Taylor
- Maggie Appleton
- Font Review Journal
- Christoph Labacher
- Josie Young
This site is built using Eleventy (11ty), hosted on Netlify, the content and data is pulled from Contentful, Spotify, last.fm, and GitHub.
The Source Code is hosted on GitHub.
- The The A11Y Project inspired me to try Eleventy, and provided excellent advice.
- I am using the CUBE CSS methodology for all the styling.
- I was also inspired by SmolCSS. The minimal snippets are an excellent example that CSS is an art form.
- I combined This tutorial in the Eleventy docs with PostCSS for a simple, extendable style pipeline.
- The Eleventy RSS plugin avoided lots of RSS headaches.
- Piccalilli wrote a simple tutorial on outputting JSON from Eleventy.
- I was also helped along the way by tea-stack and eleventyone.
- I was also heavily insipred by Aleksandr Hovhannisyan when I was working how to build sidenotes.
- Max Kohler wrote an excellent guide to implementing per-post commit logs
My typographic system is made up of:
- Blanco from Foster Type is used as body copy, and some headings.
- Signifier from Klim is used for larger headings.
- Pitch from Klim is used for smaller text, and data.
This site has formerly used:
- GT America Extended from Grilli Type was used for larger headings.